Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Day 35 & 36: Praying for plasticity

Plasticity of the perinatal brain is an amazing thing. It's the ability for the brain to re-wire, to navigate around damaged areas. If tomorrow's brain scan shows that there is in fact damage, that's what we're praying for - plasticity.

Lily had a good day! Though she lost 10 grams, Lily hasn't had a bradycardia in several days - since the 27th (touch wood) - she's still requiring high oxygen, between 45-55% the past few days. Doctors are administering two rounds of a diuretic called 'lasix', the first round of which was given to Lily today at 6pm. They can't hear fluid in the lungs - but that doesn't mean there isn't a little there. Lasix should get rid of the excess water - Lily will probably lose a little weight over the next few days... her water weight. They'll need to step up her sodium levels a bit. Lasix is a very standard course of care for preemies that are difficult to wean from oxygen... nothing to be too concerned about, they tell us.

When I went to the NICU to hold Lily tonight, she turned her head, looked at me, and SMILED! Her eyes were wide open - I caught the tail end of the smile on camera. Now... this is my second run at fatherhood... I've seen baby gas 'smiles' and I've seen real smiles. This was a real smile!  Amazing, and such a good feeling. The doctors told Sara not to expect a smile until five and a half months!

We're all too cognizant that we're still on the NICU roller coaster, but both Sara and I feel like this is a great sign. That's a lot of brain connections - 1) hear dad's voice, 2) look at dad, 3) smile at dad - amazing!!!

We're pretty much in wait-and-see mode now. Just praying for a good brain scan.

I want to say a big, big thank you to the family friend who brought back some Holy water from Lourdes. I brought it with me, said a prayer to Our Lady of Lourdes, and made a cross on Lily's head with the Holy water - healing water. I left the Holy water in her isolette; it will be there with her for the scan tomorrow, less than 6 inches from her foot. It will be there with her for the rest of her battle!






2 comments: