Friday, August 17, 2012

Day 52: Still fighting!

Still doing pretty well! Lily has been between 25 and 30% oxygen, she really seems to be fighting off whatever is plaguing her. She's also fighting the ET tube, however, and keeps trying to pull it out so she desat's a little more frequently. She's moving around alot, which is great, and they're putting her back on breastmilk this afternoon since her stomach is a little less distended! The feeds will probably be about a quarter of what she was on last week, but they'll be able to build her back up quickly if she tolerates it well.

Doctors still say they're 'treating the unknown', but whatever they're doing is working... so they are staying the course with a 7-day regime of antibiotics (vancomycin and gentomycin), administered intravenously every 6 hours.

Lily lost about 90 grams last night, which is great. Her lungs still have a fair amount of fluid, but she isn't requiring suctioning as often - she had desat episodes here and there, but we've learned this week not to be too greedy - desats will happen, as long as she pulls out of them - that's what matters!  She is definitely still fighting the good fight, is very alert, and can't wait to get this ET tube out!

8 comments:

  1. this is great news! every thing is going in the right direction, still praying here for Lily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still praying for your little Lily!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GO LILY GO!!! This little girl has touched my heart and so VERY HAPPY to hear that she is progressing foward! My family thinks about her and your family every day and you are all in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog through a friend of a friend, and I have been absolutely hooked! I have had dreams of your courageous baby girl, and her winning this battle!! I check back as frequently as possible for updates, and can't wait to hear how she is doing! My continued thoughts and prayers for your amazing baby girl, as well as you and your family. I have 2 young daughters myself, and I so feel for you and hope for the best! I gave my babies extra hugs and kisses in your honor! Thank you for making me realize just how precious life is! C'Mon baby Lily!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even my dog Banjo is rooting for UFC "Lily"!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep fighting Lily. Thoughts and prayers from Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear things are going in the right direction. Keep fighting Lily!! You are one tough young lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all :) if lily's battle has helped people appreciate how delicate and precious life is, then I know she would be very happy. One day when lily is home and strong, maybe around the one year mark - we can have a tremendous, never-to-be-forgotten party that celebrates life, perseverance and of course, Lily!

    ReplyDelete